Microsoft has started the download of Windows 8.1 update today (04-08-2014) using it’s Windows Update Method. The much anticipated update will bring some very nice changes in the UI for mouse and touch users. I currently use Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and have downloaded the update from Windows Store.
How to get the free update
You can download the free update from the Windows Store.
- Go to the Start screen, and tap or click the Store tile
- In the Store, tap or click the Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 update. if you don’t see the update on the Store home screen, see Why can’t I find the update in the Store?
- Tap or click Download.
- The download will start automatically.
Based on Microsoft website there are lot’s of new features that will show distinct improvements from previous version. Some of them are life savers:
1. Power & Search buttons on the Start screen
2. A better looking Taskbar for Open & Pinned apps with START button
3. Much awaited minimize & Close button
4. A more intuitive tile with functionalities of Right click option like previous Windows operating systems.
5. Better Security
The good thing is that this update is free of cost. The other good thing that I observed that Microsoft has started listening to it’s customer base. Be it Windows 8.1 Phones or the Windows 8.1 Update for laptops, Microsoft is trying it’s best to cater to user’s demands. Introduction of Cortana & other great features in Windows 8.1 only makes Microsoft stronger in front of Apple & Samsung in the phone segment. The shift in strategy is a clear indication of product improvement and that too in time.